Saturday, October 13, 2007

Run,swim, install IE6 on OS X

Morning (uhm) Run

I brought my young daughter along for the morning run with the jamdammers, the plan was to have her ride her bicycle next to me while I ran. Unfortunately she had other ideas about the riding (like not riding). So I went at her "running" pace, which was mostly walking. I eventually managed to convince her to ride while I ran and held the handlebar with one hand.

This did not help with my half marathon preparation, but overall it was good family time.

The battle for IE6 on OS X

Meanwhile, back home, I had left xcode 2.4.1 (xcode_2.4.1_8m1910_6936315.dmg) downloading on my Macbook. Hopefully xcode would be the last piece of the puzzle in getting ies4linux installed. After my macports port of wine choked on installation, my research suggested that it was due to a problem with the version of the compiler (gcc) that ships with xcode 2.2, so I got xcode 2.4.1.

Took a swim

The download was still going, no worries, we were going swimming anyway. Our youngest really loved the swimming pool.

Back to Xcode

Back home the xcode download had finished and I installed the dmg file which upgraded the current version of Xcode.

Since my inital build failed, I found that I needed to move the failed build before I could install wine successfully.

sudo mv /opt/local/var/macports/build_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_wine /tmp/

Then I was able to run the port command as follows:

sudo port install wine

The output looked something like this:

---> Fetching wine
---> Verifying checksum(s) for wine
---> Extracting wine
---> Configuring wine
---> Building wine with target depend all
---> Staging wine into destroot
---> Installing wine 0.9.44_0
---> Activating wine 0.9.44_0
---> Cleaning wine

Insert IE here

I had previously downloaded ies4linux to my home directory so, from a terminal, I launched X11:


Ran the ies4linux installation script from the resulting xterm:


This ran without an error (phew!), so the Xcode 2.4.1 thing worked.

Here's the screenshot, so now I can get back to fixing my CSS for IE6.

BTW, I didn't install IE6 because I love it, it is mostly because a large number of internet users still use this legacy browser.

No comments:

Sign up for my upcoming Plone 5 Book & Video tutorials

plone 5 for newbies book and videos